FIRST ROUND Monday 2 March to Friday 6 March 2020
The first round of the 2020 Applications Olympiad now has two divisions, OPEN and BASIC. The new BASIC Division is slightly easier. It covers less. The OPEN Division is at the same challenging level as before. Learners from primary schools and learners who do not take CAT may enter.
Learners can take part in one of two divisions but NOT both.
OPEN – at the level of previous Applications Olympiads – includes an Access section, but no PowerPoint – 50% of participants receive certificates – top OPEN learners will be invited to Round 2.
BASIC – slightly easier than Open – includes PowerPoint, but not Access – 50% of participants receive certificates – do not qualify for Round 2.
- A school may run the Applications Olympiad First Round at any time during the period.
- A school may not use the First Round paper before the correct date.
- If a school has too many candidates to write in a single sitting, they should arrange two sittings but make sure there is no communication between the groups.
- As it is the principal and teacher who sign the certificates, it is up to them to be satisfied that the results were obtained honestly.
- Candidates may use any “Office” Applications package, including Microsoft Office, Open Office and Libre Office.
- Test conditions for the Olympiad are the same as for a practical CAT or IT exam for the Senior Certificate.
- A school may only run the Applications Olympiad Second Round on the designated date.
- A school may not use the Second Round paper before the correct date.
- To be eligible for selection for the Final Round, candidates must
- have the top Applications Olympiad score in their school
- be among the best 10 to 15 Applications Olympiad participants nationwide
- have used either Microsoft Office, Open Office or Libre Office
- have taken part in the Second Round on the official competition day
- save their calculations in the specified place (e.g. column, cell) in the required working files
- have their answer sheet file and the required working files available on request
- have no modifications to their files after the end of the Second Round
- The Final Round will be at a central venue and the Computer Olympiad office will arrange and pay for flights, accommodation, meals and refreshments.